For many adventure photographers, travel involves not only long distances in the air but seemingly longer distances walking through airport terminals. We recognize that carrying camera gear on your back is not always a desired experience. We felt a better solution was required to make travel easier while also limiting the amount of travel related luggage.
Our solution: a Carry-On compatible roller — one that meets most airline requirements and houses Shimoda’s camera protecting Core Units and Accessory Cases. This simple to use system lets you transfer camera gear from roller to backpack quickly and seamlessly without ever removing gear from its protective case. This greatly reduces the amount of bulk material you travel with, while saving you a few sweaty backs, keeping your travel experience a little more positive.
Our roller is built with materials and construction techniques we developed to best meet the needs of travelers and the unpredictable environments the find themselves in. The Nylon Carbonate Ether PU coated shell features a unique double-sided resin application process that provides incredible water resistance if you happen to get caught walking or waiting in the rain. Oversized, industry-leading YKK zippers promise durability and reliability over the life of your roller. And our wheels remain quiet when rolling around town; yet have an aggressive tread if you find yourself in less developed environments.
- Carry On Friendly - Our roller is sized to meet most airline carry-on requirements. Since carry-on dimensions vary by airplane size and style, and regulations are always changing, we recommend checking with your airline before flight.
- Core Unit Modular Camera Insert System - As with the Explore 40 and Explore 60 backpacks, the Carry On Roller works with Shimoda’s modular Core Unit camera inserts. Inserts can easily be transferred from roller to backpack, and they can be combined to create multiple configurations to satisfy numerous gear carrying needs.
- Expandable Volume - Not every mission involves the overhead compartment. Some days are local and require a little more carry volume. The Carry-On roller is built with an expandable upper section that increases the main compartment volume on demand.
- Doctor Bag-Style Opening - The roller has a single YKK zipper running down the middle, and when unzipped, the opening retracts and exposes the main compartment. It is very practical for accessing gear when shooting out of the roller, as well as for packing and unpacking. The doctor opening allows the bag to maintain a small footprint whether open or closed, unlike a traditional luggage door-style opening that doubles a case’s footprint when opened.
- Side Panel Pockets - Each side of the bag features a full-length zippered pocket. The right side has an interior passport pocket located in an easy to reach area. The left side includes a security strap to secure a tripod.